Herein we have brought forth some simple tips which can be followed to ensure safety of forklift operation jobs. These tips are quite simple to follow and ensure safety at workplace.
The forklifts should be operated only by individuals who have been completely trained for the jobs and have a license to operate the equipment.
It is important that operators should put on appropriate clothes. Hence make sure that you have appropriate clothes on which includes hard hat, safety shoes and high visibility jackets. It is also important to check that reasonably fitted clothes are worn while carrying out the whole operation.
Examination of equipment
Following factors should be given due consideration;
- Operators should carry out a routine checkup of the forklift before driving them. Some might have faults which are good if taken care of initially.
- If there are any damages, management should be notified about the same and should be operated or repaired.
Starting up forklift
- Safety steps and hand grabs should be used to seat you correctly in the forklift.
- Before you start the forklift, make sure that all the necessary equipment is within your reach and seat and mirror has been positioned correctly.
- The operator should not start forklift until they have correctly seated themselves and have also fastened the seat belt.
- While operating the forklift it is important to follow rules and guidelines given along with it.
- All the signs, especially that with maximum permissible loading should be given due consideration while making use of forklift.
The forklift should be used at an appropriate speed i.e.
- Never cross the posted speed limit.
- Corners and turns should be taken slowly to minimize any risk of tipping.